4 Day rentalClick to change rental period
(Price includes standard round-trip shipping)
Now under the umbrella of the Cinema EOS System, Canon is extending the flexibility of digital 4K origination with the EOS-1D C - the first Canon hybrid DSLR to offer onboard 4K motion imaging and Full HD motion imaging on CF cards, in a rugged, ultra-compact form factor. Coupled with Canon's compact EF-mount lenses, the EOS-1D C facilitates 4K image origination in the tightest and most challenging environments, opening up fresh cinematic opportunities along the way.
For anyone familiar with Canon's 5D or 1D product lines, the size and weight of the EOS-1D C will be immediately familiar. The EOS-1D C features an 18.1-megapixel full frame CMOS image sensor that offers a wide range of image acquisition options, including 4K (4096 x 2160), HD (1920 x 1080); or 18-megapixel (5184 x 3456) still images. The 4K is recorded as Motion JPEG; the HD is recorded as H.264; and the still images are recorded as RAW or JPEG. All of the selected motion imaging formats can be recorded as normal gamma-corrected video or with Canon Log. In addition, like with other Cinema EOS products, the EOS-1D C exhibits incredible low-light performance, ensuring optimum image quality under conditions of extremely low scene illumination, essential for natural-looking image capture when shooting in challenging environments. For capturing stills, the EOS-1D C offers the same level of high performance as an EOS DSLR, with top-of-the-range focusing, exposure, and burst mode.
The EOS-1D C is designed to go where other 4K cameras cannot go - into hostile environments, into very cramped spaces, mounted on the end of extended jib arms, or embedded on-set. With onboard 4K recording at 24p or HD recording at a range of frame rates up to 60p; and Clean HD via HDMI, the EOS-1D C offers additional capabilities for film and TV production as well as specialty image acquisition applications. For added versatility, record start/stop can be remotely controlled by EOS Utility Software via a WFT unit.
The Canon EOS-1D C represents a breakthrough in cinematography in a DSLR specifically designed for video, that is incredibly flexible, rugged and compact. Offering onboard 4K image capture, industry-standard codecs and interfaces, and incredible low light performance, the EOS-1D C helps make 4K filmmaking as creative as you want it to be.
The EOS-1D C records the 4K signal as a YUV 4:2:2 at 24p Motion JPEG format directly to onboard CF cards. It can also externally record an HD time-coded proxy via HDMI output for use in an offline NLE system. The 4K file can be loaded directly into color grading systems that support the Motion JPEG file format; and the alternative HD recordings (H.264) on the CF cards can also be taken directly into color grading systems.
Please read the instruction manual here.
Here is a quick review from our friend Joe Simon
Approx. 18.1 million effective pixels (Total pixels: Approx. 19.3 million)
5208 x 3477 effective pixels
Full-Frame CMOS sensor
6.95 microns square
Lens Focal Length Factor
Same as indicated on lens (as indicated on lens)
4K: approx. 1.3x; Super 35mm Crop: approx. 1.6x
Canon EF Lenses (excluding EF-S, EF-M lenses)
Canon EF Cinema (CN-E) lenses*
* Since the image circle of EF Cinema zoom lenses only support the image sizes of Super 35mm Crop and APS-C, vignetting will occur if you shoot larger image sizes.
Number of AF Points
Number of Cross-Type AF Points
1 to 5 cross-type AF points at f/2.8
- 10 to 20 cross-type AF points at f/4
- 15 to 21 cross-type AF points at f/5.6
- 1 cross-type AF point at f/8
(The number of cross-type AF points will differ depending on the lens.)
AF Area Selection Modes
Single-point AF (Manual selection)
- Auto selection 61-point AF
- Single-point Spot AF (Manual selection)
- AF point expansion (Manual selection, 4 points: up, down, left, and right)
- AF point expansion (Manual selection, surrounding 8 points)
- Zone AF (Manual zone selection)
AF point setting for vertical/horizontal orientation
- Predictive AI Servo AF*
- Manual focus
* For automatic AF point selection, the AF point to start the AI Servo AF operation can be selected. For automatic AF point selection, the active AF point can be displayed.
- MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), variable bit rate
- Audio: Linear PCM, Meta information is embedded in the MOV file (no separate THM file)
- NTSC and PAL
Approx. 100% vertically and horizontally
Movie Recording Resolutions, and Frame Rates (progressive)
|Movie-recording size||NTSC||PAL||Compression Method|
|4K (4096x2160)||24 fps||24 fps||JPEG|
|Super 35mm Crop (1920x1080)||30 fps||25 fps||ALL-I|
|24 fps||24 fps||ALL-I|
|Full HD (1920x1080)||60 fps||50 fps||ALL-I|
|30 fps||25 fps||IPB|
|24 fps||24 fps||ALL-I|
|HD (1280x720)||60 fps||50 fps||IPB|
|SD (640x480)||30 fps||25 fps||IPB|
Movie Recording Size-related Figures
|Movie-recording size||NTSC||Compression Method||File Size (approx.)||Total Recording Time (approx.)|
|4GB Card||32GB Card||128GB Card|
|4K||24 fps||JPEG||3.76 GB/min.||60 sec.||8 min.||32 min.|
|Super 35mm Crop||30 fps
|IPB||385 MB/min.||9 min. 30 sec.||1 hr. 19 min.||5 hr. 16 min.|
|ALL-I||685 MB/min.||5 min.||44 min.||2 hr. 57 min.|
|Full HD||60 fps
|ALL-I||1.36 MB/min.||2 min. 30 sec.||22 min.||1 hr. 29 min.|
|IPB||235 MB/min.||16 min.||2 hr. 9 min.||8 hr. 37 min.|
|ALL-I||685 MB/min.||5 min.||44 min.||2 hr. 57 min.|
|IPB||205 MB/min.||18 min.||2 hr. 28 min.||9 hr. 52 min.|
|All-I||610 MB/min.||6 min.||49 min.||3 hr. 19 min.|
|IPB||78 MB/min.||48 min.||6 hr. 28 min.||2 hr. 55 min.|
Required Storage Card Performance
|Movie-recording size||NTSC||Compression Method||CF Card writing/Reading speed[Approx., MB/sec.]||Bit Rate [Approx., Mbps]|
100 MB/sec. or faster
|Super 35mm Crop||30 fps
|IPB||20 MB/sec. or faster||50|
|ALL-I||30 MB/sec. or faster||90|
|Full HD||60 fps
|ALL-I||60 MB/sec. or faster||180|
|IPB||10 MB/sec. or faster||30|
|ALL-I||30 MB/sec. or faster||90|
|IPB||10 MB/sec. or faster||27|
|ALL-I||30 MB/sec. or faster||80|
|IPB||10 MB/sec. or faster||10|
Color space matches the TV monitor
Color Sampling Method
- YCbCr 4:2:2 (8bit): 4K
- YCbCr 4:2:0 (8bit): Super 35mm Crop, Full HD, HD, SD
Color Profile (Color Matrix)
- Rec. ITU-R BT.601: 4K, SD
- Rec. ITU-R BT.709: Super 35mm Crop, Full HD, HD
Image Creation Processing
- Based on current Picture Style
- Canon Log gamma * View Assist possible.
Full range (0-255)
Count up: Rec run, Free run
Start time setting: Manual entry, Reset, Set to camera time
Count indicator: Rec/Play time (Recording and playback time), Timecode
Drop frame: Enable, Disable
Maximum File Size Per Video Clip
Maximum Length for a Movie
HDMI Output for Movie Footage
Possible - Output frame rate: Auto/24p/50i/60i
- Adding time code is possible
- Possible to synchronize an external recording device to start/stop recording
Signal Compatible with HDMI Output
1080: 60i/50i/24p, 480/60p, 576/50p
HDMI Output Signal During Full HD Television Connection
Before movie shooting: 1080: 60i/50i/24p
During movie shooting: 1080: 60i/50i/24p
Audio Recording Method
- Internal monaural microphone
- External stereo microphone jack
Stereo mini-jack (3.5mm diameter) provided * Max. -9dBv (with 16 kΩ)
Sound Recording Adjustment
Sound-recording level: Auto, Manual (64 levels), None
* With the movie silent setting, recording level can be changed with touch pad.
- Sound-recording meter: Provided
- Wind filter: Disable/Enable
Creative Image Processing
Based on current Picture Style
- Canon Log gamma (View Assist possible)
Same as focusing with Live View shooting
- During movie shooting, the image cannot be magnified for manual focusing.
- Compatible with power focus mode in movie shooting.
1. AF point-linked evaluative metering
- When the AF mode is Live mode or Face Detection Live mode
2. Center-weighted average metering
- For manual focusing or when the AF mode is set to Quick mode
- Metering range: EV 0 to EV 20 (At 73°F / 23°C and ISO 100, with 50mm f/1.4 lens)
Video Exposure Control
1. Program AE for movie shooting
- For shooting modes other than manual exposure and bulb
- Shutter speed (1/30-1/4000 sec., signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed automatically set.
2. Manual exposure
- For manual exposure.
- Shutter speed (signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed (auto/manual) manually set. The shutter speed (signal accumulation time) is limited to 1/4000 sec. at the maximum and to 1/30 sec. at the minimum for 24/25/30 fps or 1/60 sec. or higher for 50/60 fps.
- P, Av, Bulb: Automatically set within ISO 100-25600
Expandable to H (equivalent to ISO 51200), H1 (equivalent to ISO 102400) and H2 (equivalent to ISO 204800).
- Tv: Automatically set within ISO 100-25600
- M: With Auto ISO, automatically set within ISO 100-25600.
With manual setting, ISO 100?25600 set manually (in 1/3- or wholestop increments). Expandable to H (equivalent to ISO 32000/40000/51200), H1 (equivalent to ISO 102400) and H2 (equivalent to ISO 204800).
* If highlight tone priority is set, the ISO speed range will be ISO 200-25600.
Up to ±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- During movie shooting, press AE Lock button to set AE lock and the AF point selection button to cancel AE lock (no automatic cancellation).
- AE lock (canceled automatically when metering turns off) possible before movie shooting. Movie shooting can start while AE lock is in effect.
Movie Digital Zoom
Switchable with INFO button (5 settings)
With an IS lens and the Image Stabilizer switch turned on, image stabilization operates during metering and movie shooting.
Final Image Simulation
Before shooting, the effects of the following settings will be reflected in the Live View image
|Exposure||Auto Lighting Optimizer|
|Depth of field||Peripheral illumination correction|
|White balance||Chromatic aberration correction|
|White balance compensation||Highlight tone priority|
Still Image Capture During Video Recording
Still photos shooting possible during movie shooting by pressing the shutter button (Still image capture is not possible when Canon Log gamma is set, or when 4K, Super 35mm Crop, or Full HD recording at 60p/50p is set)
- Still shooting will interrupt the movie shooting.
- The still photo is inserted in the movie for about 1 sec.
- Exposure control used for movie shooting is applied to the still shooting.
- Flash cannot be used.
- Super high-speed continuous shooting at 14 fps cannot be selected.
Wireless Remote Control Shooting
Enabled with Wireless Controller LC-5. Possible only when the shutter button can start/stop the movie shooting.
(1) Playback on camera LCD monitor
(2) Playback on TV connected with AV or HDMI cable
(3) Playback with ImageBrowser EX
* Recommended are (1) and (2), while (3) requires a high-performance personal computer.
Movie Shooting Battery Life
4K: 1 hr. 25 min. at 73°F / 23°C
1 hr. 15 min. at 32°F / 0°C
Full HD (30 fps, ALL-I): 2 hr. 10 min. at 73°F / 23°C
2 hr. at 32°F / 0°C
The following playback is possible:
Playback, Slow motion (variable speed possible), Jump to first frame, Previous frame, Next frame, Jump to last frame, Edit first or last frame, and Audio volume (11 levels, including mute)
* The audio level when the camera is connected to a TV set is adjusted with the TV set.
Editing Out First/Last Scenes
First/last scenes editable (deletion) in 1-sec. increments
Still Photo Extraction
Possible with updated version of ImageBrowser EX
Image Type / Processing
JPEG, RAW (14-bit)
Image Format Options
JPEG (compression adjustable) RAW (CR2)
RAW + JPEG
M-RAW + JPEG
S-RAW + JPEG
Large - 5184 x 3456 (Approx. 17.90 million pixels)
Medium 1 - 4608 x 3072 (Approx. 14.20 million pixels)
Medium 2 - 3456 x 2304 (Approx. 8.00 million pixels)
Small - 2592 x 1728 (Approx. 4.50 million pixels)
RAW - 5184 x 3456 (Approx. 17.90 million pixels)
M-RAW - 3888 x 2592 (Approx. 10.10 million pixels)
S-RAW - 2592 x 1728 (Approx. 4.50 million pixels)
Data Recording Format
Complies with Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 and Exif 2.3
Creating new folders and selecting folders in the card is possible.
CF card (2 slots)
- Type I/II drive (Incompatible with Microdrive)
- High-speed writing possible with UDMA CF cards.
- Select one of the CF cards to record.
Auto switch card
- When the current card becomes full, the camera switches to the other card automatically.
- The same image is saved to both cards, but in a different size (L, M1, M2, S, RAW, M-RAW, or S-RAW) that was set for the respective card.
Record to multiple
- The same image is saved to both cards in the same size (RAW+JPEG also possible).
Image copying: Possible between the two CF cards (2 slots).
Long exposure noise reduction (set with a menu):
- Functions with exposures 1 sec. or longer.
- [Auto] or [Disable](always applied) settable.
High ISO speed noise reduction (set with a menu):
- [Standard], [Low], [High], or [Disable] can be selected.
Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processor
Maximum Frames Per Second
12 fps High-speed continuous shooting
14 fps Super high-speed continuous shooting:
High-speed continuous shooting (12 fps)
Low-speed continuous shooting (3 fps)
Silent single shooting
Self-timer (10 sec. and 2 sec.)
Super high-speed continuous shooting (14 fps)
Number of Maximum Frames / Burst
JPEG Large: 180
JPEG Medium 1: 310
JPEG Medium 2: 1390
JPEG Small: 6430
RAW + JPEG Large: 17
M-RAW + JPEG Large: 19
S-RAW + JPEG Large: 20
High-speed continuous shooting with 8GB UDMA-7 card based on Canon's testing standards and may vary depending on shooting conditions.
Flash Sync Speed
Up to 1/250 sec.
Shutter "Lag" Time
(1) During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.09 sec. *With flash, approx. 0.035 sec.
(2) Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.55 sec.
Approx. 0.1 sec (Based on CIPA testing standards)
UDMA High-Speed Compatible
High-speed writing possible with UDMA CF cards.
3.2-inch (Screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
- Approx. 1,040,000 dots
- Approx. 100% coverage
- Approx. 170° vertical and horizontal viewing angle
Manually adjustable to one of seven brightness levels
Single image display
Two types of single-image full display and two types of shooting information display.
4-image index and 9-index image
Jump display, Jump 1 image, Jump 10 images, Jump 100 images, Date, Folder,Movies, Stills, or Rating
3-Part Dust Reduction System
EOS Integrated Cleaning System:
1. Self Cleaning Sensor Unit - * Carrier wave type, removes dust adhering to the infrared- and ultraviolet-blocking glass. Self-cleaning executed automatically (taking about 1.8 sec.) when power is turned on or off. Manual execution also possible (taking about 5.2 sec.). Low-pass filter has a fluorine coating.
2. Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending - The coordinates of the dust adhering to the infrared- and ultraviolet-blocking glass are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images. The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
3. Manual cleaning
100-51,200 in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments
ISO Expansion Range
- L: 50
- H1: 102,400
- H2: 204,800
Auto ISO: 100-51,200
Shutter Speed Range
1/8000 to 1/30 sec., bulb, X-sync at 1/250 sec.
Shutter speed's control range can be set with a Custom Function.
Program AE (shiftable), Shutter-priority AE (Safety shift possible), Aperture-priority AE (Safety shift possible), Manual exposure, Bulb, E-TTL II autoflash program AE
252-zone metering with approx. 100,000-pixel RGB AE sensor and TTL maximum aperture metering employed.
EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis) system employed.
Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
Partial metering (center, approx. 6.5% of viewfinder)
Spot metering (center, approx. 2.5% of viewfinder)
- Center spot metering
- AF point-linked spot metering (Custom Function)
- Multi-spot metering
Up to eight multi-spot meter readings can be taken.
Center-weighted average metering
EV 0-20 (at 73°F / 23°C with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)
Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
AEB: ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
Automatic Image Correction
Peripheral Illumination Correction
Chromatic Aberration Correction
Highlight Tone Priority
Auto Lighting Optimizer
White Balance Modes
Preset (Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Twilight, Sunset Tungsten, White fluorescent, Flash)
Custom (Custom WB)
Color Temperature (Approx. 2,500-10,000 Kelvin)
Personal WB settings PC-1 - PC-5 (up to five white balance data that you set yourself with the provided software.)
White Balance Compensation
Alter white balance in amber-blue direction, and/or magenta-green direction ±9 levels
White Balance Bracketing
Alter white balance in amber-blue direction or magenta-green direction, ±3 levels in single-level increments
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
Canon EX-Series Speedlites (Manual flash only with non EX-Speedlites)
Flash Exposure Lock
Flash Exposure Compensation
±3 stops in 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop increments
Intelligent Viewfinder uses a transparent LCD for superimposed display of the following:
- AF Points
- AF Confirmation
- AF Status Indicator
- Metering mode
- shooting mode
- AE lock
- Shutter speed
- Exposure compensation
- ISO speed (always displayed)
- Exposure level
- Exposure warning
- Flash ready
- High-speed sync
- FE lock
- Flash exposure compensation
- Grid, electronic level
-3 ~ +1.0 (user-adjustable)
Electronic viewfinder with image sensor
Live mode (Contrast based)
Face Detection Live mode (Contrast based)
Quick mode (Phase based)
Live View Features
Magnified view, 3 Grid types, Correct Exposure/Exposure Simulation Display activated through Menu (Aspect Ratio indicator not provided.)
2 to 9
Additive, Average, Bright, Dark
The copyright information set with the camera is appended to the image as part of the Exif information
Camera System Information
- Serial No.
- Firmware version
- Shutter-release cycles
Camera status log:
- Error log
- Caution log
HDMI mini OUT terminal (Type C), CEC compatible
Audio (stereo)/video (NTSC/PAL selectable) OUT terminal
External Microphone IN Terminal
3.5mm diameter stereo mini-jack
For personal computer communications, direct printing (Hi-Speed USB)
Audio (stereo)/video (NTSC/PAL) output
Connects to GPS Receiver GP-E2 (Non-dedicated GPS)
Remote Control Terminal
Wireless Remote Control
Enabled with Wireless Controller LC-5
System extension terminal
For Wireless Transmitter WFT-E6A and GPS Receiver GP-E1
RJ-45 jack (for gigabit Ethernet)
LP-E4 or LP-E4N Lithium-Ion battery pack
- With the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E4, AC power is possible.
With a fully charged LP-E4N Battery Pack:
Approx. 2 hr. 10 min. (at 73°F/23°C)
Approx. 2 hr. (at 32°F/0°C)
The power source type, remaining capacity (in 1% increments + 6-level battery check), shutter count, and recharge performance can be checked.
The battery registration and operation history (serial number, remaining battery level when removed, and date) cannot be checked.
Battery rechargeable regardless of remaining capacity.
Weight (without eye-cup)
Approx. 54.5 oz./1545g (CIPA Standard)
Approx. TBA oz./TBA g (Body only*)
* with date/time function battery
Dust and water resistant
Dimensions, W x H x D
6.2 x 6.4 x 3.3 in. (158 x 163.6 x 82.7mm)