Canon's 50(!) Megapixel sensor is finally here! This full frame beast uses dual DIGIC 6 processors to give you a whopping 50.6 MP at up to 5 frames per second. The 61-point AF system ensures your images are quickly in focus using 41 cross type points. Canon also finally built an intervalometer into the body! Timelapse mode allows you to take a series of images then stitch them together into a full HD movie file, all in camera! This is also the first Canon DSLR to give you a selectable crop mode, either 1.6x (20MP) pr 1.3x (30MP.) SRAW and MRAW gives you plenty of options to record a 12.4MP and 28MP file, respectively. Take that, Nikon! The only downside we can see so far is that the ISO range is only from 100-6400, though expandable to 50-12800.
The difference between the 5DS and the 5DS R is that the R has a low-pass filter (LPF) cancellation, effectively removing the LPF to give you the most sharpness and detail possible. This can technically introduce a bit of moire to your images, though historically, it hasn't been that big of a deal.
Digital, AF/AE single-lens reflex, camera
* Type I drive (Incompatible with Type II and Microdrive.)
* High-speed writing possible with UDMA CF cards.
SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
* High-speed writing possible with UHS-I SD cards.
* MultiMediaCard (MMC) cannot be used. (A card error will be displayed.)
Approx. 36 mm x 24mm (35mm Full-frame)
Canon EF Lenses (excluding EF-S Lenses)
Canon EF mount
High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
Effective pixels: Approx. 50.60 megapixels
Total pixels: 53.00 megapixels
Total Pixels: 53.00 megapixels
3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
Color Filter System
RGB primary color filters
Low Pass Filter
Fixed position in front of the image sensor
Dust Deletion Feature
Design Rule for Camera File System 2.0 and EXIF 2.3
Still Image: JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon Original), RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW, RAW+JPEG, M-RAW+JPEG, S-RAW+JPEG
Video: MOV (Image data: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC; Audio: Linear PCM)
Crop - 1.3x
Crop - 1.6x
Aspect Ratio - 1:1
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
Images recorded in a card can be copied to the other card
The following three types of file numbers can be set:
(1) Continuous numbering
* The continuous numbering of captured images will continue even after you replace the camera's card. (The numbering continues even when the folder changes.)
(2) Auto reset
* When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
(3) Manual reset
* Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording
The image-recording quality can be selected in any combination of the three RAW and eight JPEG recording quality settings.
Selectable between sRGB and Adobe RGB
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
* Scene Intelligent Auto will set [Auto] automatically.
* [Standard] is the default setting for [User Def. 1-3]
* With an EX-series Speedlite having the color temperature information transmission feature, the color temperature setting changes to match the color temperature when the flash is fired. Set to approx. 6000K if the flash unit does not have the color temperature communication feature.
Auto White Balance
Auto white balance with the image sensor
Color Temperature Compensation
*Corrected in reference to the current WB mode's color temperature.
Color Temperature Information Transmission
Approx. 100% vertically and horizontally (At approx. 21mm eyepoint)
Approx. 0.71x / Angle of view 34.1° (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1 (dpt))
Approx. 21mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
Dioptric Adjustment Correction
-3.0 to +1.0m-1 (diopter)
Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflectance ratio of 40:60)
Depth Of Field Preview
Enabled with Depth-of-field preview button
TTL Secondary image registration, phase detection with AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
61-point High-Density Reticle AF
|Cross-type AF Points||AF Points|
|Dual cross-type AF points at f/2.8 and f/5.6||5|
|Cross-type AF points at f/4.0 + f/5.6||20|
|Cross-type AF points at f/5.6||21|
|Horizontal-line focusing AF points at f/5.6||20|
|Cross-type AF points at f/8||1|
AF Working Range
EV -2 - 18 (at 73°F/23°C and ISO 100)
(2) Manual focus (MF)
AF Point Selection
Selected AF Point Display
Displayed in viewfinder with transparent LCD and on LCD panel
Active AF Point Indicator
AF area used in horizontal/vertical (grip up or down) shooting and the manually-selected AF point position can be set separately
AF Assist Beam
Approx. 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor
EOS iSA System with 252-zone (18 x 14) metering
EV 0-20 (at 73°F / 23°C at ISO 100)
Exposure Control Systems
(1) Scene Intelligent Auto
(2) Program AE (shiftable)
(3) Shutter-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
(4) Aperture-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
(5) Manual exposure
* The metering mode can be specified with a Custom Function.
(7) Custom shooting mode, C1, C2, C3
* Evaluative metering, Averaged metering
ISO Speed Range
|Normal ISO Speeds||ISO 100–6400 (in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments)|
|Expanded ISO Speeds||L: equivalent to ISO 50, H: equivalent to ISO 12800|
* For (Highlight tone priority), the settable ISO speed range will be ISO 200–6400.
* ISO speed safety shift possible with Custom Function.
* For movie shooting, the maximum expanded ISO speed is also ISO 12800.
ISO 100-6400 (in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments)
|Shooting Mode||ISO Settings|
|Without Flash||With Flash|
|P/Tv/Av/M||100–6400*1||ISO 400 fixed*1,*2,*3|
|B||ISO 400 fixed*1|
*1: It depends on (Minimum) and (Maximum) of (Auto ISO range).
*2: If overexposure would occur with fill flash, the minimum ISO speed is set to ISO 100 (except for M and B).
*3: Auto set for ISO 400–1600 in the P mode with external Speedlite set for bounce flash.
ISO Speed upper and lower limits:
(1) Manual setting range
* ISO speed expansion is set with this option.
(2) Auto ISO ranger
* ISO speed expansion not settable.
Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
AEB: ±3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
* Indicated up to ±3 stops on the LCD panel and in the viewfinder.
(1) Auto AE lock
·In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
(2) Manual AE lock
·With AE lock button. (AE lock is updated each time you press the button.) Enabled in all metering modes.
Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled
X-sync at 1/200 sec.
1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
* Shutter speed's control range can be set with a Custom Function.
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
Shutter Lag Time
EOS Dedicated Speedlite
E-TTL II autoflash with all EX Series Speedlites
Zooming to Match Focal Length
Flash Exposure Compensation
±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
External Flash Settings
The camera can set the following with Speedlite 600EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 320EX, 270EX II, or 270EX:
(1) External flash control
* Flash mode, sync setting, FEB (not possible with 270EX II/270EX), flash exposure compensation, E-TTL II, zoom, wireless master flash (not possible with 430EX II/ 270EX), and clear settings.
* With the Speedlite 600EX-RT, radio wireless control is possible.
(2) Flash Custom Function setting
Provided (no polarity)
Single, High-speed continuous, Low-speed continuous, Silent Single Shooting, Silent continuous shooting, and Self-timer (10 sec. self-timer/remote control, or 2-sec. self-timer/remote control)
Continuous Shooting Speed
High-speed: Maximum approx. 5.0 shots/sec.
Low-speed: Maximum approx. 3.0shots/sec.
Silent continuous shooting: Maximum approx. 3.0 shots/sec.
|Image Recording Quality||Crop/Aspect Ratio||Image File Size (Approx. MB)||Possible Shots (Approx.)||Maximum Burst (Approx.)|
|CF Card: 8 GB||SD Card: 8 GB|
|Standard||High-speed (UDMA 7)||Standard||High-speed (UHS-I)|
|Large/Fine||Full-frame||14.1||510||31||510 (Full)||31||510 (Full)|
|1.3x crop||8.5||840||110||840 (Full)||120||840 (Full)|
|5.5||1,310||1,310 (Full)||1,310 (Full)||1,310 (Full)||1,310 (Full)|
|1:1 (aspect ratio)||9.4||760||76||760 (Full)||85||760 (Full)|
|4:3 (aspect ratio)||12.5||570||No value data for Live View shooting.|
|16:9 (aspect ratio)||11.9||600|
|Large/Normal||Full-frame||7.0||1,030||1,030 (Full)||1,030 (Full)||1,030 (Full)||1,030 (Full)|
|M1/Fine||Full-frame||10.9||660||45||660 (Full)||49||660 (Full)|
|M1/Normal||Full-frame||5.5||1,310||1,310 (Full)||1,310 (Full)||1,310 (Full)||1,310 (Full)|
|M2/Fine||Full-frame||7.1||1,010||1,010 (Full)||1,010 (Full)||1,010 (Full)||1,010 (Full)|
|M2/Normal||Full-frame||3.5||2,030||2,030 (Full)||2,030 (Full)||2,030 (Full)||2,030 (Full)|
|S1/Fine||Full-frame||4.5||1,590||1,590 (Full)||1,590 (Full)||1,590 (Full)||1,590 (Full)|
|S1/Normal||Full-frame||2.3||3,120||3,120 (Full)||3,120 (Full)||3,120 (Full)||3,120 (Full)|
|S2||Full-frame||1.2||5,600||5,600 (Full)||5,600 (Full)||5,600 (Full)||5,600 (Full)|
|S3||Full-frame||0.3||20,380||20,380 (Full)||20,380 (Full)||20,380 (Full)||20,380 (Full)|